Tuesday, April 14, 2015

3 Safety Suggestions I Need to Follow

   1. Use separate passwords for different services.
This safety tip is simple to understand but can be hard to actually do. So many of us have many different online accounts and services we login to very frequently. It is hard to memorize many different passwords or have to write them all down and risk losing them. From this week’s reading I found out there are password managers that can store and help you come up with strong passwords so you aren't having to come up with them yourself or remember all of them. I currently have a handful of different passwords but defiantly have overlapping ones as I have so many different accounts for this or that. From the information I learned about password managers I think I will try one of these services to help protect myself online a little better. This will help prevent someone from easily accessing all my online accounts with just one or a few passwords. If someone does hack or find out a password it would only be for one service verse many of those I have online.




2.Don’t share personal information while connected to public Wi-Fi.
When you are out of your home with your computer and connect to any wi-fi whether it is at a coffee shop or at school it is important to not share any personal information. This is a safety tip I do not follow well. I hate to admit it but with a busy life and so much of day to day life being done online it’s hard to avoid sharing some sort of personal data while on a public network. I plan to be more aware of what information I am accessing or sharing while connecting to wi-fi that is not my home wi-fi. By doing this I am preventing hackers from getting my personal data. I also found in our reading that if you must access personal data while on public wi-fi you can use a virtual private network tool to encrypt your usage or to use your personal mobile hotspot. These tools can help prevent someone from accessing the same public wi-fi and hacking into your connect to steal your personal data. I found a great article about safty and public wi-fi that opened by eyes a lot called 'Think Twice Before Accessing Personal Info.'

3. Understanding the cloud

The cloud is a way to store your files, pictures, videos and most any data type in a virtual online storage database. It is a great way to be able to access your file when you are away from your computer. There are many different service providers that offer cloud storage. I personally use a cloud storage system but I am not a huge user of it. I can say reading more about it this week especially in the 'How to Avoid being Hacked' article, it has made me look more into the security of my current cloud provider and what all I actually have saved on it. Although most cloud storage services are secure you are still putting your information out there and for someone else to watch over opening up the possibility of being hacked. So you need to be aware of what you have stored on the cloud and what the security of your service provider is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment